Propylene Glycol USP
Propylene Glycol USP is a viscous nearly odorless clear hygroscopic liquid with a mild sweet taste. Propylene Glycol is an alcohol produced by fermentation of yeast and carbohydrates. This gives it the designation of carbohydrate when used in foods. Propylene glycol is also used to make polyester compounds, and as a base for deicing solutions. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors, and in the paint and plastics industries. Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions. Propylene Glycol USP, is a versatile pharmaceutical grade product with many properties that allow its use in cosmetic and personal care products, food and flavorings, pharmaceuticals and pet foods. In cosmetics, propylene glycol is a humectant and delivery ingredient. Some other names for it are a-propylene glycol, 1,2-propanediol, 1,2-dihydroxypropane, methyl ethyl glycol (MEG), methylethylene glycol, PG, Sirlene.
Propylene Glycol USP is an important ingredient used in some of the following fields:
- Solvent for aromatics in the flavor-concentrate industry
- Wetting agent for natural gums
- Ingredient in the compounding of citrus and other emulsified flavors
- Solvent in elixirs and pharmaceutical preparations
- Solvent used in hair care products:
It is a completely water-soluble material that will not build up on the hair.
It will not evaporate easily & cause dry hair in the manner of low molecular weight alcohols like SD alcohol & isopropyl alcohol.
- Solvent and coupling agent in the formulation of sun screen, lotion, shampoos, shaving creams and other similar personal care products:
It is an effective humectant.
It is a solvent for fragrances and preservatives.
It can be used as an emulsifier or co-surfactant.
It is used as a solvent for pigments in cosmetics.
It can be used as a preservative due to its antifungal and antimicrobial properties.
It is frequently used in deodorants and antiperspirants.
It is found in hand cleansers and disinfecting gels.
It is a common additive in shaving creams and gels.
- Ingredient for low-temperature heat-transfer fluids involving indirect food contact, such as brewing and dairy uses, as well as refrigerated grocery display cases
- Very effective humectant, preservative and stabilizer in semi-moist pet food (with the exception of cat food), bakery goods, food flavorings and salad dressings
Our solvents and chemicals are packaged in secure glass or chemically resistant BPA-free plastic bottles. Propylene Glycol is GRAS Certified, Non-GMO, Kosher Certified, not tested on animals.
Please click here, for a complete list of available Solvents & Chemicals: