Propylene Glycol USP
Propylene Glycol is a viscous nearly odorless clear hygroscopic liquid with a mild sweet taste. Propylene Glycol is a form of mineral oil, an alcohol produced by fermentation of yeast and carbohydrates. This gives it the designation of carbohydrate when used in foods. Propylene Glycol USP, is a versatile pharmaceutical grade product with many properties that allow its use in cosmetic and personal care products, food and flavorings, pharmaceuticals and pet foods. In cosmetics, propylene glycol is a humectant and delivery ingredient. Some other names for it are a-propylene glycol, 1,2-propanediol, 1,2-dihydroxypropane, methyl ethyl glycol (MEG), methylethylene glycol, PG, Sirlene.
Propylene Glycol is an important ingredient used in some of the following fields:
- Solvent for aromatics in the flavor-concentrate industry
- Wetting agent for natural gums
- Ingredient in the compounding of citrus and other emulsified flavors
- Solvent in elixirs and pharmaceutical preparations
- Solvent used in hair care products:
It is a completely water-soluble material that will not build up on the hair.
It will not evaporate easily & cause dry hair in the manner of low molecular weight alcohols like SD alcohol & isopropyl alcohol.
- Solvent and coupling agent in the formulation of sun screen, lotion, shampoos, shaving creams and other similar personal care products:
It is an effective humectant.
It is a solvent for fragrances and preservatives.
It can be used as an emulsifier or co-surfactant.
It is used as a solvent for pigments in cosmetics.
It can be used as a preservative due to its antifungal and antimicrobial properties.
It is frequently used in deodorants and antiperspirants.
It is found in hand cleansers and disinfecting gels.
It is a common additive in shaving creams and gels.
- Ingredient for low-temperature heat-transfer fluids involving indirect food contact, such as brewing and dairy uses, as well as refrigerated grocery display cases
- Very effective humectant, preservative and stabilizer in semi-moist pet food (with the exception of cat food), bakery goods, food flavorings and salad dressings
Our solvents and chemicals are packaged in secure glass or chemically resistant plastic bottles.